Wednesday, May 12, 2010

The ABC's of Disney movies, as told by me (W,X,Y,Z)


Finally, the last installment of the A-Z Disney movies as told by me! Enjoy!

W –
Wall-E (2008)

This is one of the most adorable movies I’ve ever seen. I seriously fell in love with it as soon as I saw it. Wall-E is such an endearing and likable character that it’s hard not to love him. I just want to pick him up and cuddle him!

Fun Facts:

The name "Wall-E" is a tip of the hat to Walter Elias Disney.

The main character's name is actually an acronym, standing for "Waste Allocation Load Lifter-Earth-class." EVE stands for "Extraterrestrial Vegetation Evaluator" (even though she specifically evaluates earth's vegetation) and M-O stands for "Microbe Obliterator."

The logo on Eve's chest that appears after she obtains the plant is the same logo used by Disney Epcot's The Land pavilion up until 2005.

Fun Quotes:

Ship's Computer: Voice confirmation required.
Captain: Uhhh...
Ship's Computer: [after the "uhh" echoes] Accepted.

EVE: Name?
WALL.E: WALL-E.
EVE: WALL-E?
[giggles]
EVE: EVE.
WALL.E: [attempting to pronounce it] Eeee...
EVE: EVE.
WALL.E: Eeeee... aah.
EVE: "EVE"! "EVE"!
WALL.E: Eeeee... va?
[EVE giggles]

MO's computer: [after scanning Wall-E screen says 100%] Foreign contaminant!
MO: Huh? Whoa-whoa-whoa whoa whoa!

Runner-up
Who Framed Roger Rabbit? (1988)

I really like this movie since it incorporates both live action and animation as well as animation from across the cartoon spectrum like Warner Brothers characters in addition to Disney characters. I really like all the different references for each of the cartoons in the movie, too. It's really fun to watch and has nonstop humor.

Fun Facts:

Since the movie was being made by Disney, Warner Brothers would only allow the use of their biggest toon stars, Bugs Bunny and Daffy Duck, if they got an equal amount of screen time as Disney's biggest stars, Mickey Mouse and Donald Duck. Because of this, both sets of characters are always together in frame when on the screen.

Roger Rabbit is described (design-wise) as having a "Warners face", a "Disney body", a "Tex Avery attitude", Goofy's overalls, Mickey Mouse's gloves, and Porky Pig's bowtie. Animation director Richard Williams says he based his Roger color model on the American flag (red overalls, white body, blue tie) so that "everyone would subliminally like it".

Fun Quotes:

Jessica Rabbit: You don't know how hard it is being a woman looking the way I do.
Eddie Valiant: You don't know how hard it is being a man looking at a woman looking the way you do.
Jessica Rabbit: I'm not bad. I'm just drawn that way.

Roger Rabbit: [Crying] No wonder you hate me. If a toon killed my brother, I'd hate me too.
Eddie Valiant: Come on, don't cry. I don't hate you.
Roger Rabbit: Yes, you do.
Eddie Valiant: No, I don't.
Roger Rabbit: You do hate me. Otherwise, you wouldn't have yanked my ears all those times.
Eddie Valiant: Well, I'm... I'm sorry I yanked your ears.
Roger Rabbit: All the times you yanked my ears?
Eddie Valiant: All the times I yanked your ears.

X – None for “X”

Y – Or “Y”

Z –

Zenon: Girl of the 21st Century (1999)

There wasn’t any for “Z” either but then I thought of Zenon. I don’t think I’ve used any Disney Channel Original Movies yet, or maybe I have, I can’t remember. I have always liked Zenon so I thought I’d include it. I like watching movies that take a stab at what the future may be like (like Back to the Future) and I like seeing other people’s interpretation of how the future may look.

Fun Quotes:

Zenon: ONE sin minor and my life is a living black hole!

Matt: Reality pill, Margie! It was never you he liked, it was the car!

Mr. Windom: I refuse to engage in a name-calling contest with a teenager.
Zenon: That's because you know you'll lose!

Thanks everyone for reading all of these! Hopefully, you’ve been reminded of some of your favorite childhood Disney movies and want to rewatch a few of them, I know I do!

In a week, I shall be on my way to Italy and then on to Greece. I’ll be gone for a couple of weeks, but I will try to update at least once while I’m there. I’m going to be busy absorbing as much ancient Greek and Italian culture as well as doing work for the honors class that’s hosting the trip so hopefully I will be able to make a post while I’m there!

We lost a couple of our roomies, Allison and Mindy, so if you're arriving on June 7th and are looking to live in a wellness 3-bedroom in Chatham, please leave a comment!

In other news, I got the luggage tags in the mail for Disney’s Magical Express sometime last week! They only gave me one for myself and one for Lyanne which would never be enough, especially for a couple of girls, so I called and requested a couple more. Hopefully they’ll get here soon so I can send Lyanne hers before we have to leave! Only about 3 weeks now, I can’t wait!

Until next time,


HAVE A MAGICAL DAY!

No comments:

Post a Comment