Sunday, May 9, 2010

The ABC's of Disney movies, as told by me (T,U,V)


We’re coming down the home stretch with these letters now! 3 more today!

T –

Toy Story (1995)

This is a really cute story and it’s one of my favorite Pixar movies as well. Tom Hanks who plays Woody and Tim Allen who plays Buzz work very well with each other to make this movie a funny, unforgettable one. The second Toy Story is also good, though many Disney sequels are generally a letdown. I can’t wait for Toy Story 3 to come out, it looks good!

Fun Facts:

Many of the books on the shelf in Andy's room are names of Pixar's short films (Adventures of Andre and Wally B., Knick Knack, etc.) and some of the book author's are named after Pixar staff.

All of the cars in Toy Story have license plate stickers that are dated November 95 - the same date the movie was released.

When the soldiers are watching the pile of presents disappear during the birthday party, two silhouette pictures can be seen on the wall. These pictures are available at Walt Disney parks worldwide, and are cut freehand, with no prior sketchwork, using nothing but paper and scissors by the park's employees.

Fun Quotes:

Mr. Potato Head: How come *you* don't have a laser, Woody?
Woody: It's not a laser. It's...
[sighs in frustration]
Woody: It's a little light bulb that blinks.
Hamm: What's wrong with him?
Mr. Potato Head: Laser envy.

Sergeant: Molly's first present is... Mrs. Potato Head! Repeat, a Mrs. Potato Head!
Hamm: Way to go, Idaho!
Mr. Potato Head: Gee, I'd better shave.
[pulls off his moustache]

Andy: You're going to jail, Bart. Say good-bye to the wife and Tater Tots.

Runner-up
Tarzan (1999)


I used to not like this movie because of how violent the beginning is to me, but it really is essential to the storyline so I’ve slowly grown to tolerate it. I really like this movie, however, for the music. Phil Collins does an amazing job and composes many memorable songs that make Tarzan a touching movie.

Fun Facts:

When the gorillas pick up Professor Porter and turn him upside-down, a beanbag toy of Little Brother from Disney's Mulan (1998) falls out of his clothes.

One of the main reasons why animation was chosen as the perfect way to execute a Tarzan story was because the character is so lithe and animal-like, it would have been nearly impossible to achieve those effects with live action.

Fun Quotes:

Terk: Can you believe that guy? Drops us like a newborn giraffe - kerplop! - then waltzes in and expects us to...
Tarzan: Terk, I'm asking you as a friend.
[Looks at Terk with big, soulful eyes]
Terk: Oh, with the face and the eyes... All right! All right! But you'd better not make me do anything stupid.
[Cut to Terk in Jane's dress]
Terk: I'm going to kill him!

Jane Porter: [Tarzan has saved her from the baboons] Put me down! Put me down!
[the baboons approach]
Jane Porter: No, pick me up, pick me up, pick me up!

U –

Up (2009)

I don’t recall ever crying the first time I saw a Disney film like I did when I first saw the beginning of Up. It seemed unusually sad for a Disney movie and I wasn’t sure I was going to like it after that. However, the rest of the movie is rather enjoyable and light-hearted, though there are still gloomy undertones at times. It’s a slight tearjerker in my opinion but it really is worth a watch :)

Fun Facts:

Dug's 'point' pose, where his entire tail, back, and head is in a perfectly straight line, is an homage to the identical pose that Mickey's dog, Pluto, often makes. Dug also shares a similar color scheme to Pluto.

All characters are based upon circles and rectangles, except for the villains who are triangles.

The villain Charles Muntz is named after Charles Mintz, the Universal Pictures executive who in 1928 stole Walt Disney's production rights to his highly-successful "Oswald the Lucky Rabbit" cartoon series. This led Walt Disney to create Mickey Mouse, who soon eclipsed Oswald in popularity.

Fun Quotes:

Russell: [from trailer] Good afternoon. Are you in need of any assistance today, sir?
Carl Fredricksen: No.
Russell: I could help you cross the street.
Carl Fredricksen: No.
Russell: I could help you cross your yard.
Carl Fredricksen: No.
Russell: I could help you cross your porch.
Carl Fredricksen: No!
[closes the door on Russell's foot]
Russell: Ow.

Alpha: Now, you must wear the cone of shame.
Dug: [hangs head] I do not like the cone of shame.

Alpha: [In squeaky voice] Master, dinner is ready.
Charles Muntz: Oh, yes, broken collar? It's that loose wire again.
[Charles fixes the collar]
Charles Muntz: There you go, big fella.
Alpha: [In deep, intimidating voice] Thank you, master.
Russell: [Nervously] I liked his other voice better.

V –

There really isn’t anything for “V” so I’ll be skipping over that one. Hope nobody is too disappointed!

UPDATE:

I’m officially home from college and done with the semester! I’m going to be leaving for Greece and Italy on May 19th and will be returning May 31st. I will be going with a group of students from class and the trip itself will actually be for credit as well which is so awesome! Then I will be leaving for Disney June 6th! I can’t believe it’s less than a month away now!

Until next time,



HAVE A MAGICAL DAY!

No comments:

Post a Comment